Friday, January 29, 2010

Competing Conclusions


After tonight, I have come to two competing conclusions. Either (a) God loves me and has something planned for me, or (b) I missed my calling as a Hollywood Stunt Car driver. Let me explain…

There I was, driving to my parents’ house for the weekend. I was tired. I had a hard time sleeping the night before, so I started to doze. I was about 15 miles outside of Lampasas, Texas, where I was planning on stopping to load up with some caffeine. I tried the usually things like changing the radio station, hitting myself, and calling people.

All of a sudden, I woke up hurdling 70 miles an hour down a grassy hill, straddling a ditch between the tires of my truck. I looked to the right and saw the steep grass hill dangerously close to my door. The rest of it was pretty much a blur. What I know is that I went into some type of hole, then I steered the truck back on to the road. Then the tire squealing began. I fishtailed one way, steered into it, and then fishtailed the other way and back again, for what seemed like forever. I was sure the truck would flip over; I had visions of it blasting through my head. I just could not regain control.

Even when I had slowed down considerably, still no control. Finally, I slammed the brakes. When I hit the brakes I felt the G-forces pushing me against my seatbelt, again I knew I would soon be upside down. It felt like there was a massive force pushing down on my roof. The truck did a full 180-degree turn on a completely dry road. Then it was over.

I got out of the truck. Several people had stopped to make sure I was okay. I was fine. One guy, who I actually almost hit, told me he thought my truck might have actually been in the air at one point. I inspected the truck and saw that the tires on the passenger side were completely flat. He offered to call me a wrecker, so I took him up on it.

The wrecker drove me into Lampasas to the Chevrolet dealership. I was thinking this would be incredibly expensive, if fixing it was possible. At that point I did not care about the money. I was a little in shock, but mostly praising God for saving my life.

Thankfully, the guys in the repair shop were able to mend one of the rims and the tire. We replaced the other one with the spare. It all took about an hour. Amazingly, they would not take any money from me. I was back on the road by about 6.  

Overall, I really do not know if I have mad stunt driving skills. I do not think so. More importantly, I think the better explanation is that God intervened. I guess I still have more to do. I spent the rest of the drive praising. I thank God for unseen forces, kind strangers, and the good people of Lampasas. 

2 comments:

  1. sorry i couldnt talk when you called. we all thanked God at dinner last night that you are ok. talk to you a little later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! I have tears in my eyes. Daniel Clark, you better not do that again...ever!

    ReplyDelete