Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Final Frontier


Watching LOST has helped me encounter something about myself that I had never encountered in the past. It must lie somewhere deep within the depths of me, so deep that it remained undiscovered for such a long time. I think my propensity towards social desirability may have formed a thick protective layer, keeping this trait far beneath the surface. I have spent most of my life in situations where those who have this trait usually kept it silent, or were pushed off to the fringe of social circles. I am not sure if I have felt it before or not, but if I did I was afraid to admit it even to myself. But I can no longer keep silent, I must admit it and let it be as it may.

I enjoy science fiction. I cannot hide it. I never enjoyed Star Trek, I did not even see the Star Wars movies until I was 24 years old. I was sucked into LOST when it seemed to be an interesting survival drama, but I am even more engaged now that it is full-blown sci-fi with mythical monsters, time travel, and alternate realities. In the last week my roommate has got me hooked on watching “Battlestar Gallactica” and I enjoy it immensely.

Reading the first chapter of the book of John this morning made me think about science fiction. I can just see the first 18 verses in large yellow letters appearing at the bottom of a star-lit screen and moving slowly into the distance accompanied by a dramatic John Williams symphony. “In the beginning was the Word…”

It seems to me that there may be some similarity between the draw of science fiction and the intrigue of this chapter. Both include epic, larger than life stories. Both are mysterious and other worldly. Both draw you in by toeing the line between what is familiar and what is novel. I believe it is our attraction to God’s story that makes science fiction’s stories attractive.

So as I continue to work my way through “Battlestar” and everyday life, I need to be reminded that the reality God created is more epic and intriguing than any science fiction story. I do not need to try to hide my desire to part of his bigger story. Life can sometimes seem mundane, we need to remember that the story is epic. May the force be with you, live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment