Friday, August 6, 2010

Smelly Roses


Someone asked me the other day to describe a simple pleasure that I have. I had a hard time answering the question, because a lot of things are simple pleasures to me. I would define a simple pleasure as something that gives one unadulterated joy or exuberance. I get joy from having good conversations, learning new things, being with kids and family, solving problems, talking and listening to God, being in nature, listening and playing music, and many other things. I think life would be very sad and dark without simple pleasures. Yet it is also a pretty common experience to forget these simple moments of joy.

In Luke 10, Jesus’ disciples return to him with a good report. He had sent them out to do good work among the people, and they were successful. Upon hearing this report, Luke wrote in verse 21 that Jesus was “full of Joy.” Then Jesus turned and thanked his father.

What simple pleasures do you have? When was the last time you thanked God for the pure joy that comes from simple pleasures? When you smell the roses, do you thank God?

No comments:

Post a Comment